ADSM-L

Re: RS/6000 connectivity to a 3590

1999-03-26 08:48:13
Subject: Re: RS/6000 connectivity to a 3590
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:48:13 -0500
>    We're contemplating adding an RS/6000 ADSM server to our backup scheme.
> We have a 3590 shared between our MVS and VM systems via ESCON.  Is anyone
> else sharing a 3590 between a mainframe system and an RS/6000?  What method
> of connectivity (SCSI, ESCON) is being used from the RS/6000 to the 3590?

Hi Arty,

     We are about to buy a 3494 with 8 3590 drives, 4 of which will be
ESCON attached for VM/MVS, and the other four will be SCSI attached to an
RS/6000-F50 for ADSM.  My understanding is that the 3590 is either ESCON
or SCSI, and not "both".

Can you put an ESCON card in an RS/6000?  I guess if you could that might
muddy the waters, but you would need some way of "sharing" the drive with
all three environments, like MIM...

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,