ADSM-L

Moving DB

1999-03-25 15:42:52
Subject: Moving DB
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:42:52 -0600
As ADSM has gone from a pilot project to a production system, the DB has
expanded to 10 pieces spread over 4 volumes (and mirrored).  It's just
grown as expansion is need.  Now, we have installed a RAID-5 system on the
server, and I want to move the DB to a single, coherent place on the new
devices and allow for a year or more of growth as I do so.  As I understand
the procedure from the manual, I have to

                1.      DSMSERV DUMPDB devc=tape  (defaulting to scratch)
                2.      DSMSERV FROMAT 1 newlogname 1 newdbname (both already
defined by
DSMFMT??)
                3.      DSMSERV LOADDB devc=tape vol=scratch from 1

My hardware is a RISC/6000 AIX4.2.1, ADSM 3.1.2.13, with a 3494 tape
library and 4 3590 drives.  I have a DEVCONFIG file already.

However, at least one thing in the manual has me confused: that I must use
a LIBTYPE of manual.  Does this mean I have to edit the DEVCONFIG (or point
to another one) so that the LIBTYPE is manual?  If so, do I have to use an
mtlib command to get a scratchtape mounted, rewound, and remounted?  Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.