ADSM-L

Re: client compressalways no

1999-03-25 08:48:09
Subject: Re: client compressalways no
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:48:09 -0500
There are two options files on the client.  One is called the system
options file (a.k.a. dsm.sys) and the other is called the user options
file (a.k.a. dsm.opt).  COMPRESSALWAYS goes into the user options file
(i.e., dsm.opt).

This is documented in the client reference manual, but it is easily
overlooked.

Rich

At 07:31 AM 3/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a sun solaris platform client that we would like to do compression
>before sending data across the pipe, but because we have cache turned on for
>the server, the "uncompressable" files break.  So, we've enabled "client
>determined" and the client has tried to add the "compression" and
>"compressalways no" to the dms.sys options file.  But, it doesn't like it.
>Example:
>
>                ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
>                Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 3, Release 1,
>Level 0.6
>                (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1998, All Rights
>Reserved.
>
>                ----------------------------------------------------------
>                ANS1036S Invalid option 'COMPRESSALWAYS' found in options
>file '/opt/IBMadsm-c/dsm.sys'
>                         at line number : 32
>                         Invalid entry : '   COMPRESSALWAYS no'
>
>                ANS1038S Invalid option specified
>
>Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>Dave Sanders
>Sr. Technical Consultant
>MassMutual / The Blue Chip Company
>1295 State St, E060, Springfield, MA 01111
>413-744-5095

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203