ADSM-L

Re: excess activity log msgs - v3

1999-03-24 16:49:42
Subject: Re: excess activity log msgs - v3
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:49:42 +1200
> Some good-hearted folks have suggested using a variety of filtering
> mechanisms to just see the messages that I want.  Seems like a lot of work
> (and who knows what other tripe will get stuffed into the activity log with
> each new release of ADSM)

I have a periodic job that does a "qu actlog " to pick up all the
activity log messages since the last time the job was run.

The job then throws out all the messages I think are "uninteresting"
based on their message ID and mails me the rest.

When I am sick of a particular message, it goes into the uninteresting
file.

I am thinking about extending it to trigger on messages, e.g., another
tape required for DB backup, backup completed, tape error.

Yes this involves some investment of time and effort to make the tools.

Russell