ADSM-L

Re: excess activity log msgs - v3

1999-03-24 15:54:15
Subject: Re: excess activity log msgs - v3
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:54:15 -0600
     Ya know... one of the largest quantity of errors that shows up in my
     daily report of ANR????[E,S,D] messages are the ones for "no items
     selected for query" (or what ever the wording is...)
     So if my report generator gets no E,S,orD messages on any given day,
     the next day there will be at least one where the previous day's query
     DIDN'T FIND ANY and that might be the only ERROR from the previous 30
     hours AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! !

     Dwight

Author:  PrathW1 (PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    3/24/99 2:36 PM

The problem I have with all the extra messages coming to the server in V3,
is that one "q actlog" command generates 5 or 6 meaningless messages in the
activity log.  It doesn't add any information, and it makes the task of
finding the meaningful messages in the log much more difficult.

On the other hand, I do indeed understand and approve of having an audit
trail of administrator activity.

What I would like to see, is the ability to EXCLUDE administrator audit
messages from a Q ACTLOG.

Perhaps make Q AUDITTRAIL a separate command from Q ACTLOG.

Or for a more general solution, allow the user to create a list of message
numbers that are excluded when a Q ACTLOG is processed.

What do you all think?