ADSM-L

ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration

2015-10-04 17:46:04
Subject: ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration
From: Scott Fluegge [SMTP:sfluegge AT VENATORGROUP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Any Ideas?

I have several ADSM servers running on AIX.  I am using the ADSM
Disaster
Recovery Manager.  My problem is that I am running out of tapes in my
3494.
I ran an SQL query to see how much Oracle data I was holding and I
found
that there  were many data files out there a far back as last August.
 SQL
Backtrak is set to only hold them for two weeks!  I talked to support
and
they told me that I should set my retain extra version and retain only
version parameters for the Oracle management class to 0.  (I had them
set
to 1).

First,  can someone tell me how that will work?  With a setting of 0 it
seems like it won't hold anything!

Second, can anyone tell me how SQL deletes the files and how ADSM knows
that they have been deleted?  Since every file SQL sends to ADSM is
given a
time stamp, they all are unique....

I did what they told me to, I reset those parameters.  I then ran
expiration and reclamation.  I did find that expiration deleted several
thousand files.  I also gained many tapes.  The problem is, when I ran
the
query against the ADSM database, I found almost all of those old Oracle
files were still there.  I have no idea what was expired!!  This was
about
two weeks ago.  I am again running out of tapes.  I think I still have
problem, We are at a point where our copy pool sizes should be stable.
Data should expire at the rate we get more info.  BUT, I am still
growing
at about 50 gig a night.  I have upgraded my server to 3.1.2.15

Any suggestions????