ADSM-L

Device Classes and Drives

1999-03-23 19:30:58
Subject: Device Classes and Drives
From: Anthony Doig <anthony.doig AT OPENTECH.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:30:58 +1200
Hi,

How can I define a tape drive with a device type other than GENERICTAPE ??
I'm setting up a 4MM tape drive on a small hack/development NT system with
the following commands:

        define library 4mmtapelib libtype=manual
        define drive 4mmtapelib 4mmtapedrive device=\\.\Tape0
        define devclass 4mmtapeclass devtype=4mm format=dds1c
library=4mmtapelib

This all works fine, but then:

        adsm> query drive format=detailed

                          Library Name: 4MMTAPELIB
                            Drive Name: 4MMTAPEDRIVE
                           Device Type: GENERICTAPE
                                Device: \\.\TAPE0
                               ON LINE: Yes
                               Element: ACSDRVID:
        Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
                 Last Update Date/Time: 03/24/1999 13:16:03

I can't see a way of updating the drive definition so that the device type
is 4MM.

The other elements are:

        adsm> query library format=detailed

                          Library Name: 4MMTAPELIB
                          Library Type: MANUAL
                                Device:
                      External Manager:
        Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
                 Last Update Date/Time: 03/24/1999 13:15:33

        adsm> query devclass f=d

                     Device Class Name: 4MMTAPECLASS
                Device Access Strategy: Sequential
                    Storage Pool Count: 0
                           Device Type: 4MM
                                Format: DDS1C
                 Est/Max Capacity (MB): 0.0
                           Mount Limit: DRIVES
                      Mount Wait (min): 60
                 Mount Retention (min): 60
                          Label Prefix: ADSM
                          Drive Letter:
                               Library: 4MMTAPELIB
                             Directory:
                           Server Name:
                          Retry Period:
                        Retry Interval:
                              Twosided:
        Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
                 Last Update Date/Time: 03/24/1999 13:17:08

I know I can more than one device class associated with a library, but I
can't see how the device class/type can be associated with an actual drive.
I assume I' missing something obvious.

I'm using ADSM v3.1.0.0 on NT4sp3.

Cheers,

Anthony