ADSM-L

Re: ADSM for AFS and DFS

1999-03-23 02:53:54
Subject: Re: ADSM for AFS and DFS
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:53:54 +0100
Peter Dümpert writes:
 > On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, S W Luan wrote:
 >
 > > (1)  When using dsmcafs, dsmcdfs, is a large number (sometimes tens of
 > > thousands) of VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT definitions for all the filesets/volumes
 > > required?  How might one be able to speed up the file backup process?
 > >
 > > There is a way to do per-volume (or per-fileset in DFS terminology)
 > > VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT without having to define/maintain them explicitl > >
 > > VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT without having to define/maintain them explicitly.  A
 > > script can be written to list all the volumes in the cell and mount them
 > > a selected directory (e.g., /afs/almaden.ibm.com/.adsm).  You use the
 > > environment-variable support in ADSM in the dsm.sys file to define a
 > > generic VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT.  For example,
 > >
 > > VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT ${AFSVOLUME}
 >
 > Point (1) of Luan's remarks are exactly what we do.

Great idea, whish I'd known that earlier. Due to existing archives, it
is now hard to switch to that approach.

I'm wondering though, what impact it has on the management of the ADSM
server, when one client has 44000 file spaces. When do we delete them -
they might contain archives, so they have to live for a loooong time.
Due to the high fluctuation at a university, the number of file spaces
might grow into the 100000 magnitude. Perhaps I am just too anxious ...

 > - currently we run 4 streams in parallel based upon our tree-structure
 >   (0 <= xx <= 24) (25 <= xx <= 49) (50 <= xx <= 74) (95 <= xx <= 99)
 >   on a relatively small client-machine ( IBM C10, 64MB ) lasting ca.
 >   4 - 7 hours per stream ( depending on the weekday), so NO time-problem
 >   with a file-backup.
 >   How many streams You actually run very much depends on the capabilities
 >   of the ONE ( YOU need 1 license !! ) client-server machine, i.e. a
 >   stronger machine than e.g. our C10 could easily run more than 4 streams
 >   in parallel.

We are running 2 streams, but on different machines. Both machines use
the same nodename (NODENAME option in dsm.sys).

Best regards,

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-UniversitReinhard
Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet