ADSM-L

Re: Copy Storage Pool Questions

1999-03-22 17:43:57
Subject: Re: Copy Storage Pool Questions
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:43:57 -0800
A word of warning - I will try to answer some of your questions even though
I don't do offsite backups this way.  I do use copy pools.  Your first
question makes it sound like you have just 1 tape drive.  If thats true, you
need to get a second one.  You can get by with one, but it isn't pretty.

1) The copy pool can use the same device class as the primary tape pool.
2) The copy pool will be at least as large as the primary tape pool.  It
   will probably be larger, because you will be sending partially filled
   tapes offsite and objects expire increasing the reclaimable space.
3) You can use a "query volume stg=YOUR_COPY_POOL_NAME" or an equivalent
   Select command to get of list of the tapes; then you will need to change
   their status to offsite.
4) The concept of "a prior day" does not apply to ADSM.  Today's tapes
   contains only the stuff that changed since yesterday.  All off site
   tapes must stay off site until they are empty or until they can be
   reclaimed.
5) You will have to change their status to ???
6) You can have a second remotely located ADSM server and store your copies
   there.