ADSM-L

Re: ADSMconnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange

1999-03-16 14:33:01
Subject: Re: ADSMconnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:33:01 -0500
Eliza,

> I have a couple of questions about ADSMconnect Agent for Microsoft
Exchange
> 1.1a.  The server is AIX 3.1.2.13.
>
> 1.  The scheduled backup always starts 5 sessions.  The first session
remains
>     idle and times out in 60 minutes (idletimeout is 60).  It appears
that the
>     third session is the one that actually backs up the Information Store
and
>     the Directory Store.   What do the other 4 sessions do, especially
the first
>     one?

The first session is the scheduler making a connection to the
ADSM Server to run the scheduled command.  All that one is really
doing is "executing" the command file that you kick off from the
scheduler.  You can put "start" in front of the "excdsmc" command
to get rid of idle timeout session.  So, the scheduled command file
will just kick off the backups and exit. The backup itself only uses
one session for each DB backup.  So, two of the seesions are the
two (IS and DIR) DB backups.  Once the backup is done, the scheduler
then contacts the ADSM server to send the schedule results.
And the last one is getting the next scheduled event from the
ADSM Server. I think that accounts for all 5.

> 2.  The backup of the IS writes an entry to the schedule log after
backing up
>     every 65536 bytes.  With a 7G IS it fills up the log file pretty
quick.  Is
>     there a way to turn it off.  I have tried the verbose and quiet
options,
>     but they don't seem to do a thing.

Make sure you enter the "-quiet" option on the invocation of the
EXCDSMC command (not in the ADSM options file, dsm.opt)

So it would be something like:

     excdsmc /backup:is,full -quiet

> Thanks in advance
>
>  Eliza Lau