ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and big file-servers

1999-03-16 06:09:30
Subject: Re: ADSM and big file-servers
From: Francis Maes <fr.maes AT CGER DOT BE>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:09:30 +0100
Hello Stephan,

We are facing the same problem. Our "big" file servers (NT) are using 100GB
disks partitions (filespaces for ADSM).
This kind of "big" filespaces gives two kinds of problems with ADSM:
1) The process time on the client. A 100GB filespace with user data may
contain up to 4 millions of files.
    ADSM Client (NT) 3.1 takes easely 6 to 8  hours only to scan 4 millions
files. (Bi-processor NT server with big memory)
2) The transfert time, in case of restore is too long.
    We are using an ATM between our "big" (NT) clients and our (MVS) server.
The top speed is +/- 4GB / hour => a minimum of 25 hours for 100 GB.

It is a long time that I claim by IBM for improvements on that subject.

For me, a 20GB filespace is a maximum for ADSM like it is now.

Be sure the next release will be better.......

Best regards,

Francis

Francis Maes                    ASLK-CGER Services GIE  - Belgium
ADSM Server Administrator Rue Fossé-aux-Loups, 48 - 1000 Brussels
Storage Management          E@Mail: fr.maes AT cger DOT be