ADSM-L

Re: Error during NDS object restore

1999-03-15 12:46:07
Subject: Re: Error during NDS object restore
From: Tom Anstey <tom.anstey AT MOLECULAR-MEDICINE.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:46:07 +0000
There are a number of possible reasons as detailed below.  I have
put the full list in as the exact point at which the error occurs is not
given.

-601  FFFFFDA7  NO SUCH ENTRY
From the NWAdmin help file:
From the NWAdmin help file:

Explanation

The specified NDS object could not be found on the NDS server that
is responding to a request.

Warning: Applying all solutions mentioned in this topic could make
the problem worse if the actual cause of the problem is not known.
Before following a course of action, make sure that you understand
the cause of the error and the consequences for the actions
suggested.

Possible Cause
The object name entered could not be found in the context specified.
The object name might be mistyped. The context for the workstation
might be incorrect for the object being sought. The leading dots or
trailing dots might be used incorrectly.

Action

Check the context specified for the object name entered. If the
command line input was the object name, check the workstation's
context. Make sure that it points to the correct level of the NDS tree
for the object name specified. If the input includes the object's full or
partial context, make sure that the leading and trailing dots are
specified appropriately and the types are correct.

Possible Cause

Occurrences of this error in response to an NDS or bindery API
can occur during normal handling of an NDS tree. However,
continuous occurrences of this error might indicate a program fault
in the application being used.

Action

If the error persists, contact the developer of the application.

Possible Cause

If this error occurs in response to a request for the target server to
start replica synchronization in NDS, the partition root object that
was specified is not present on the target server.

Action

If you are running ds.nlm v5.01 or later, the error in this case will
resolve itself.
If using an earlier version of the NLM* program, do the following:

1.      Verify the state of the replicas.
2.      Make sure the time is synchronized on all file servers in the tree.
3.      Remove the replica, and then add it again. This step could be
dangerous and should be a last solution.

Possible Cause

An attempt was made to finish NDS authentication for an NDS
object, and the object was deleted before the authentication was
completed.

Action

In this case, the error is informational and no action is required.

Possible Cause

This error could occur in the background process of NDS
backlinker. The external reference might have been removed or
overwritten by an incoming replica. This error occurs if the external
reference was removed or overwritten while NDS was waiting for the
backlink attribute to be created on an NDS server that is holding a
replica of the NDS partition that includes the externally referenced
object.

Action

Ignore transitory occurrences. Over a period of time, the error will
resolve itself in this case.

Possible Cause

This error could occur in response to a Dead or Rename obituary
during the NDS Janitor background process. In this case, the error
could occur while processing obituaries after a successful
completion of the background process for NDS replica
synchronization. If it does, then it means the target server does not
hold an external reference of the object being deleted.
The external reference might have been removed or overwritten by
an incoming replica.

Action

If the server itself is no longer in the tree but still exists as an object
in the tree, then locate the server object and delete it.
If the replica is incoming, then it should get updated into the replica
ring and should be notified and should correct itself. If the error
does not correct itself in this case, contact a Novell support provider.

Possible Cause

An attempt was made to read information for an NDS object that
does not exist on the NDS server that is replying to the request.

Possible Cause
If the error displays while running DSTRACE on the server or while
viewing Partition Continuity in NDS Manager, it usually means that
an entry is missing from the entry record table on the source server.

Action

Make sure the request has had enough time to be processed on the
NDS server.
Identify which object is returning the -601 error. To do this, use the
SET DSTRACE=+SYNC command on both the source and the
target server and on any other servers in the replica list.
If the object with the error is not a server object, try deleting it.
If the object with the error is a server object, see if DSTRACE
returns any other errors besides -601. Address those errors, if any.

You can use the Partition Continuity feature of NDS Manager to
evaluate the partition for synchronization errors. NDS Manager has
several repair functions that allow you to correct synchronization
errors without having to run DSREPAIR from the server.
Note: Using the Send Updates option might create high levels of
network traffic.
If Partition Continuity shows no errors besides -601, use NDS
Manager to send updates from a replica that does not have the
error, or receive updates on the replica with the error.

Note: Receive updates will create less traffic than send. Send
Updates and Receive Updates are available from the Tree view, the
list of Partitions and Servers, and the Partition Continuity view in
NDS Manager.

Possible Cause

The replicas of an NDS partition might be inconsistent.

Action

If the problem is with the replica ring being inconsistent, see actions
for error -672.
Warning: Using the Send All Objects option or the Receive All
Objects option might create high levels of network traffic.
If the problem is with inconsistencies inside the partition, such as
objects on different replicas not being the same, use the Send All
Objects option or Receive All Objects option in DSREPAIR to update
replicas of a partition on the servers holding replicas.

==================

> Our NetWare administrator wants to restore several  NDS objects
> and gets the NetWare error
>
> -601  the directory has an insufficient buffer condition
>
> What does this error mean? Can anybody of the NetWare gurus assist
> us?
>
> Configuration:
>
> NetWare 4.11 SP 5
> ADSM NetWare Client 2.1.0.7
>
> Hanna Hahne
> Hanna Hahne                        email:  Hanna.Hahne AT dkfz-heidelberg DOT
> de
> Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum
> Zentrale Datenverarbeitung         Tel.:   (+49) 06221 - 42 2357
> Im Neuenheimer Feld 280            Fax:    (+49) 06221 - 42 2399
> D-69120 Heidelberg

Tom Anstey
Computer Manager
Institute of Molecular Medicine