ADSM-L

Re: your mail

1999-03-11 13:03:59
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:03:59 -0600
I determined, during a prolonged run of 3494 troubles, that the AIX message
refers to the ADSM VCR repair message and is a nuissance and not a problem.
 What is a problem is what causes the VCR loss.  My CE, who's great with a
screwdriver, doesn't know.  One thing I never do, which may not have to do
with anything other than paranoia, is bring down ADSM with a cartridge
still in a drive.

At 12:13 PM 3/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Purdon, James wrote:
>
>// Help! I am being plagued by a host of ANR8820Ws (Repairing VCR data for
>// tapes on IBM 3590 drives).
>//
>// I hate these - the "repair" operation takes too long and doesn't always
work
>// (I've been waiting 10 minutes now for a repair to complete!).  And each
>// incident seems to dump about four messages into the error log, claiming
>// everything from the tape drive is broken (but the CEs say the drives pass
>// all diagnostics) to that the drive is dirty (we clean each drive daily and
>// our mount count isn't particularly high).
>//
>
>I'm getting a similar condition only with a different error.
>We have recently configured our new 3494 Lib. w/ 2 3590 drives using the
>F/W Differential SCSI connect to an RS/6000 (AIX 4.2.1)
>I'm getting constant "RECOVERY LOGIC INITIATED BY DEVICE" errors showing
>up in the errpt on only one of the two tape drives.  Our CE has run
>every diagnostic known to IBM and found nothing. The word from IBM is
>"don't worry about it.  These errors aren't serious".  Any error
>indicating recovery sounds serious to me... And what worries me the most
>is that only one drive is giving the errors (likely eliminating a firmware
>error or the like)  ADSM doesn't think there is anything wrong with the
>drive, and hasn't shown any errors.  So I guess this isn't really helpful,
>but I suppose it's possible the errors are in some way related in their
>cause....
>This help jog anyone's brain for ideas?
>
>TIA
>

>-
>Best regards,
>Brian
>
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Brian T. Huntley                              UNIX Systems Programmer |
>| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
>| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
>| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                www.clarkson.edu/~bth

> UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
>        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.
University of Chicago