ADSM-L

[no subject]

1999-03-11 10:42:05
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:42:05 -0500
Help! I am being plagued by a host of ANR8820Ws (Repairing VCR data for
tapes on IBM 3590 drives).

I hate these - the "repair" operation takes too long and doesn't always work
(I've been waiting 10 minutes now for a repair to complete!).  And each
incident seems to dump about four messages into the error log, claiming
everything from the tape drive is broken (but the CEs say the drives pass
all diagnostics) to that the drive is dirty (we clean each drive daily and
our mount count isn't particularly high).

It has been so bad that in two cases I had to delete a primary storage pool
volume with discard=yes because the volume had become unreadable before it
could be copied to copypools.  As you can imagine, this really annoyed me -
we lost data (of course, I destroyed the tape volumes afterwards, but it
wasn't nearly satisfying enough). There needs to be a write-verify mode
which makes sure that the data in a tape-based primary storage pool is
readable during client backup and storage pool migration, or else a multiple
copy option that simultaneously writes the data to multiple volumes.

Tapes with bad VCR data are generally marked read-only and we periodically
perform "move data" commands on such volumes.  ADSM automatically returns
empty volumes to the scratch pool for reuse which seems to work (but haven't
been keeping a history of read-only volumes). Should we be pulling and
destroying these volumes instead? What do you all do?

Basically, I never want to see a VCR error - how can I achieve this
objective (by means other than not looking at the log).

Thanks,
Jim