ADSM-L

Drives made unavailable - why?

1999-03-11 09:03:56
Subject: Drives made unavailable - why?
From: Adam Slesinger <aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:03:56 -0500
Hello there!

I have come across a minor problem that puzzles me. We are running ADSM
3.1.1.5 on AIX 4.2.1 with an attached STK9730 DLT library with two
drives.

After checking the activity log this morning, I noticed that the
scheduled admin command we set up to backup up the database ran
successfully, but the actual backup process failed.  The reason was
"Insufficient number of mount points."  I checked the online status of
the drives and both said "Unavailable since 3/11/99 8:05:10"  Now,
that's the exact time the backup database schedule takes off.  In
addition, there were 6 "Storage Subsystem Failure" messages in the AIX
error log.

I updated the drive online status for both drives to yes and kicked off
a db backup and it worked just fine!  I guess my question is "What in
the world would cause both drives to suddenly become unavailable?"  Has
anybody run into a similar problem?  The activity log doesn't tell me
why they became unavailable, is there any place else I can check for
more info?

Thanks a lot!!!
adam
Adam Slesinger