ADSM-L

Re: archived files and database use

1999-03-10 11:37:25
Subject: Re: archived files and database use
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:37:25 -0500
Tom,

We have also made this discovery and are none too pleased about it.  We
have an open PMR on this, but I don't think I've made much headway in
convincing support/development that this is a problem.  As I understand it,
this change was made to address some design change requests (DCRs), having
to do with being able to restore a full directory structure using archives,
just as you can do with backups.  I understand the desire to satisfy the
DCR, but the side effect of the implementation has very adversely affected
our existing use of archives, in the way that you described (below).

As with your example, we also use ADSM archive to archive hundreds or
thousands of files from the same directory.  With the new archive
behaviour, this will result in tons of directory turds getting left in the
ADSM DB after we remove the files - if I understand the process correctly.
This simply does not work for us.

..Paul