ADSM-L

Problems with EXPORT from ADSM AIX V2 to MVS V3

1999-03-10 10:10:00
Subject: Problems with EXPORT from ADSM AIX V2 to MVS V3
From: Mariajo Rodriguez Canales <mari_jose AT ES.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:10:00 +0100
Hi everybody,

     actually I'm working with ADSM at a customer, and I've found the
following problem.

My customer has an ADSM server V2.1.06 installed in an AIX system which
gives services to several HP and Windows NT clients. He is interested on
migrating to an ADSM/MVS server, and I am the person who is doing the
migration.

Yesterday, we installed the ADSM server (v3.1.2) in the OS/390, and I
configurated it for using. Then, I registered an administrator, and I tried
to export the rest of administrators with the EXPORT command. I did it
without any problem, and when I tried to execute the IMPORT command on
OS/390, I got the message ANR1401W denying the request because of a
problem: the expected data set name (ADSM.EXP) and the written data set
name (ADSM.BFS) were different.

I was looking for this problem within EHONE, and I found the solution. The
problem is AIX servers (and other ones) don't overwrite the label of a
cartridge if that cartridge is reused. So, I imagined that the cartridge
had been used earlier by AIX ADSM to add storage data, and then the
cartridge was given back to scratch and when used by EXPORT command, AIX
server didn't overwrite the header label. The solution, such as I read, was
labeling again the cartridge or executing EXPORT from MVS to overwrite the
header label with ADSM.EXP and then executing EXPORT again in AIX server.

However, this morning, I've found another problem, and I have no idea
what's happening now. We initialized one scratch cartridge from MVS
although the cartridge was inside the library shared between AIX and MVS,
and we executed on ADSM AIX Server the comnand:

                          EXPORT ADMIN * DEVCLASS=CINTA_STK VOLUME=T78665

where T78655 was the cartridge previously initialized.

There was no problem and the command executed correctly.

When we tried to execute the command:

                          IMPORT ADMIN * DEVCLASS=CINTA_STK VOLUME=T78665

on the OS/390 server, we got the following error messages:

IEC712I  05D7,T78665,ANRPROC,ANRPROC,SYS00058 READ - NOT FIRST VOLUME OF
DATA SET
IEC271I  MESSAGE DISPLAY 'T78665' ON 05D7 ISSUED BY JOB ANRPROC
ANR5370E  Invalid block header on device 05D7
ANR5209I  Dismounting volume T78665 (read-only access).
ANR9999D XIBF(833): Error 5 encountered in opening import stream.
ANR0661E IMPORT ADMIN: Internal error encountered in accessing data
storage.
ANR0405I  Session 232 ended for administrator ADMIN (Server).
ANR0985I  Process 5 for IMPORT ADMIN running in the BACKGROUND completed
with completion state FAILURE at 11:06:01.

Does anybody know which is the problem?. I've read it's possible migrating
with EXPORT data from a version 2 server to a version 3 server, but the
opposite is not true. I'm migrating from version 2 to version 3.

Both AIX and OS/390 are sharing the library, a Silo STK 9310. For AIX they
use Timberline drives, not for MVS. For AIX they use the Library
Communication Facility as an interface with MVS for loading the cartridges
with ADSM.

Please, I would be very pleased of some help. It's quite important and
urgent.

Thank you very much,

                                                     Mariajo.

María José Rodríguez Canales