ADSM-L

archived files and database use

1999-03-10 07:04:31
Subject: archived files and database use
From: "Fluker, Tom R" <Tom.Fluker AT VIASYSTEMS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:04:31 -0500
It appears to me that, when I archive a file, a database entry gets created
for every directory 'above' the file I'm archiving.

For example, if I "dsmc archive /usr1/mygroup/myhome/myfile1" then a
database entry would get created for /usr1/mygroup, /usr1/mygroup/myhome,
and /usr1/mygroup/myhome/myfile1.  This is, perhaps, understandable.

If I then "dsmc archive /usr1/mygroup/myhome/myfile2" a second database
entry for both /usr1/mygroup and /usr1/mygroup/myhome would get created.

If I archive 1000 files from the same directory, three levels deep, I
(apparently) get an additional 2000 database entries that don't seem
necessary.

Is this true?  If so, is there anyway to eliminate the duplicate database
entries for the same directory levels.  As I understand it ADSM doesn't
"clean up" these directory entries from the database when file file is
removed anyway.  Is that true?  Ugh!!!

Tom Fluker
tom.fluker AT viasystems DOT com