ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Opt. Library 3995 disks fail at 41% capacity

1999-03-08 08:58:29
Subject: Antwort: Re: Opt. Library 3995 disks fail at 41% capacity
From: Ahmet Ertem <aertem AT HAITEC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:58:29 +0100
We've been trying a bunch of things to fix this problem. That's why it
took a while for me to answer.

>You indicate that some cartridges error at 91% utilized.  Did the volume
>that did fill completely end up with an estimated capacity around 4.7GB?

Almost, yes. Our volumes are at 4.9GB estimated capacity.

>I have
>a PR open with ADSM support about a very similar problem, but the actual
>work has moved over to the 3995 group, since it is appearing to be a
>problem in the drive microcode.

The same here. We've sent a trace file to customer service and it is being
looked at in the labs.

>If you run an Audit Volume, does most/all of the data show up as bad?

Not all but many of them. After the audit the volumes were set
to access mode read-only and we have not been able to recover them back to
read-write.
We have tried moving the data to other volumes and were able to fill
some more of them up to 100% but these volumes were also marked as holding
bad data and were set to read-only.

>Best of luck to you.  I've been working on this for some time, and I'm not
>sure when I'll have my problem resolved.
>Nick Cassimatis
>nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

--Ahmet Ertem.