ADSM-L

Re: Active object not found / Havoc in ADSM DB ???

1999-03-05 10:18:08
Subject: Re: Active object not found / Havoc in ADSM DB ???
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:18:08 +0100
>Alfred - For what it's worth, here's the synopsis I have for this problem
>         as synthesized from past List communications:
>
>ANS1304W Active object not found
>       This problem occurred when you migrate from a V2 client to a v3.1.0.5
>       (or 3.1.0.6) client and when you have international characters in
>       filenames or directories (you should have some ... it seems to me to be
>       spanish names).  As of the end of 1998, IBM is writing a special
>utility
>       which should fix this problem.
>       And the problem is treated but may not be fully fixed with APAR
>       IC21764. And you should also have: USEUNICODEFILENAMES OFF.

Thanks for Your reply.

I followed the thread (as the guy that supports the ADSM users at my
department, I like to be prepared for the things to come :-); but there are
some specific circumstances not covered by the original thread:

First, the client that I've noticed the problem is not Win32, but Mac (and,
as the USEUNICODEFILENAMES option is not supported on this platform, it
won't help me).

Second, yes, the client was converted from 2.1.??? to 3.1.0.6, but that
happened some weeks ago, and the error occured just now (on a computer I
backup daily). May it last that long until the error gets visible? (BTW, if
at all, I use german umlauts and other national characters only rarely in
my file names).

Third, when I tried to investigate the problem; I noticed that some files
that should have been active (they existed on my hard disk and were not
changed for some time) were not shown me at all in the window that allows
me to select files for restore (and after a selective backup, the directory
containing them was shown twice, with only one letter varying in case).
However, I cannot jugde whether this problem interrelates with the error
message.

Finally, recreating a complete backup (by renaming or deleting the original
filespace) seemed to solve both problems (as far as I can jugde); but my
question remains unanswered: Can ADSM be trusted if a problem that affects
its ability to restore may go unnoticed for some time?

Another question (that just now comes to my mind, as I will convert more
clients in the next time): Will I avoid these problems, if I start fresh
backups (by renaming or deleting the original filespaces) when I convert a
node to the 3.1.0.6 client?

Any other experiences / thoughts / ... ?

Thanks - Alfred

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at