ADSM-L

Vaulting and barcode readers

1999-03-03 01:32:37
Subject: Vaulting and barcode readers
From: steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:32:37 +1000
Hi All,

I am implementing a small ADSM V3 solution under AIX using a 3575 library
and hence 3570 Magstar tapes.  It is obviously going
to be difficult and error prone to manually pick the tapes from our vault
location and so I'm looking to automate the operation.

My current thinking is to purchase a small hand-held barcode scanner and
somehow download the pick list to it so that the
scanner beeps, flashes, explodes or otherwise indicates when it has found
one of the tapes that need to be picked.

 Someone else must surely have previously solved this problem, could you
please share any insights with the list?

Thanks

Steve Harris

AIX Systems Administrator
The Wesley Hospital