ADSM-L

Re: Solaris 7 x86 client?

1999-03-02 10:45:10
Subject: Re: Solaris 7 x86 client?
From: Joe Gross <jgross AT STIMPY DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:45:10 -0600
On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 10:54:07AM -0600, Robert Jarry wrote:
> Is there a ADSM client for Intel Solaris 7?
>
> If so, where can I get it?

The short answer is no. I was told by the client development manager that
"there is no demand or business case" for it.

The long answer is you can make the unsupported Linux V3 client work under
Solaris x86 in a way similar to how the SCO client used to be run under
Linux. I've tested this and it appears to work well.

1) Get the latest version of lxrun from
   http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~steven/lxrun/
   I used 0.9.1pre3 and it worked pretty well.

2) Follow instructions and install the package. We'll assume that the final
   location for the lxrun binary is /usr/local/bin/lxrun.

3) Install the unsupported linux ADSM client in /usr/adsm.

4) In the /usr/adsm directory

   Rename the real dsmc and dsmadmc binaries to something else, ie:
   mv dsmc dsmc.real
   mv dsmadmc dsmadmc.real

   Make a new shell script for dsm and dsmc with the following. Don't
   forget to chmod 755.

   #!/bin/sh
   exec /usr/local/bin/lxrun ${0}.real $*

   This will automatically run the real dsmc and dsmadmc binaries under the
   linux emulator.

5) Create the expected /etc/mtab file that the client reads for mount
   information. This is how the client knows where the filesystems are
   mounted.

   You should recreate this file every time a mount is changed in either the
   local vfstab, local automount or NIS automount tables. Otherwise the
   client might run off a real filesystem.

   Here's the tabconvert.pl script:

   #!/usr/local/bin/perl
   # tabconvert.pl - convert solaris mount table to linux mount table
   # Joe Gross <jgross AT stimpy DOT net>

   $soltab="/etc/mnttab";
   $linuxtab="/etc/mtab";

   open(STAB, "$soltab") || die "cannot open $soltab:";
   open(LTAB, ">$linuxtab") || die "cannot open $linuxtab:";

   while (<STAB>) {
     ($mount,$fs) = (split)[0,1];
     $hda++;
     print LTAB "$mount $fs ext2 rw 0 0\n";
   }

   close(STAB);
   close(LTAB);

7) Configure and run the ADSM client.

NOTE: This only works with the command line utilities. The graphical clients
      die shortly after connecting to the server.

It would be nice if IBM would at least produce an unsupported x86 client as
it would require nothing but a recompile of the Sparc client.