ADSM-L

Re: SQL Agent Questions

1999-02-26 11:47:52
Subject: Re: SQL Agent Questions
From: Sharon Combs <swcombs AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:47:52 -0600
Chris,  Thanks for the response...this agent stuff is new to me so if you
could clear up a couple of more points, I would appreciate it.

1.   The size originally created for the transaction log piece of the
database is 1.5GB.  To get this to go directly to disk, we created a
storage pool size of 1.5GB; however, when we backed up the log, it only
saved 3.3MB of data.  Our original disk pool size was 500MB which should
have been more than sufficient.  Does the SQL agent use the total size of
the transaction log as its indicator of where to send the data (i.e. if the
disk pool isn't as large as the transaction log, will it try to go directly
to the next pool in the hierarchy?)

2.   When we do a scheduled backup of the transaction log, (I think the
command is sqldsmc /backincr .....), does this automatically truncate the
transaction log?  And just so I understand, the truncation only gets rid of
what's considered the 'inactive' part of the log, is that correct?

3.   Is the SQL not designed to restore individual tables, etc?  or do you
have to completely restore an entire database or individual transaction
logs?  I'm not sure what the best way is to implement the agent.
---------------------- Forwarded by Sharon Combs/Tulsa/IBM on 02/26/99

Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM> on 02/24/99 04:22:49 PM