ADSM-L

Where to run the ASDSM server

1999-02-24 16:52:47
Subject: Where to run the ASDSM server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:52:47 -0500
> I want to run my ADSM server(AIX) on an existing production node within our
> SP frame.

Shortly before I started my current job my co-workers went through an
analogous process of deciding which of three MVS systems should be used to
support an ADSM server. They ended up putting it on a system normally used by
in-house application programmers rather than on the system used for our
production workload. This decision was made because scheduled downtime on the
production system always occurs in the small hours of the morning. Many of the
prospective ADSM clients shut down databases and run backups during the same
hours. Downtime on the development system can be scheduled for lunch time or
early evening, allowing that system to always be available during client
backup windows.