ADSM-L

Re: Starting DSMSERV on Solaris 2.6

1999-02-23 11:38:07
Subject: Re: Starting DSMSERV on Solaris 2.6
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:38:07 -0500
Forget inittab.  Go with /etc/init.d.

1) Create /etc/init.d/adsm-s with the following content:

#!/sbin/sh
#
case "$1" in
'start')
        echo "Starting ADSM Server software..."
        cd /opt/IBMadsm-s/bin;
        /opt/IBMadsm-s/bin/dsmserv &
        ;;

'stop')
        ;;

*)
        echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop }"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac
exit 0

2) chmod u+x /etc/init.d/adsm-s
3) ln /etc/init.d/adsm-s /etc/rc3.d/S98adsm-s
4) Test your new addition with "init 6"

One of the (deliberate) side effects of this procedure is that there
will be no file or device to receive ADSM console messages.  Therefore,
all ADSM messages will go to the system console.  This allows me to
display all ADSM messages in the console window on our CDE desktop in
a window with a scrollbar, but without having an extra process lying
around (such as "dsmadmc -console") that a) would have to be started
manually or (if in batch) with a hardcoded password, and b) can die.

I would appreciate any comments about how to improve this procedure.

Thanks,
Rich

At 12:58 PM 2/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Kelly,
>
>When my coworker attempted to start the ADSM server on our E450 running
>Solaris 2.6, she was unable to get the inittab line to work.  Instead,
>she put together a script which changes to the ADSM server directory,
>then starts the Server daemon.  In the inittab, she added a line which
>calls the script.
>
>HTH.
>

>Kelly Lipp wrote:
>>
>> DSMSERV would be the ADSM server.  No problem with the scheduler - we
>> need the proper method to start the server.
>>
>> Kelly

>> > What's DSMSERV, if this is 'dsmc sched', i.e. set up the client so that
>> > the ADSM server can 'pull' backups then I use:
>> >
>> > adsm::once:/usr/bin/dsmc sched >> /tmp/adsm.log 2>&1
>> >
>> > With hindsight, maybe 'once' should be 'respawn', but at least this
works for
>> > me!
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Bob Cross.
>
>--
>Mark Dyer
>Systems Administrator               e-mail: mark.dyer AT fle.gmpt.gmeds DOT com
>Service Delivery - UNIX Team         voice: (810) 236-0373 [8-446]
>                                       fax: (810) 236-9290 [8-446]
>
>                     EDS North/West Region
>                     Mail Stop 485-184-110
>                     902 E. Hamilton Ave
>                     Flint, MI  48550

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203