ADSM-L

CHECKOUT failure - updated

1999-02-19 17:29:57
Subject: CHECKOUT failure - updated
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:29:57 -0600
Last month, I posted a problem here that I had with CHECKOUT/CHECKIN.  The
problem was finally determined to have been caused by hardware problems in
the 3494.  After many visits from the CE with lots of new parts, all now
works fine.  However, this has disclosed an ADSM problem. If you enter a
CHECKIN/CHECKOUT command that cannot be executed, ADSM goes into a wait
instead of reporting "invalid command" or some such.  All other processes
stack up behind.  I verified this by havind an operator try to return a
nonexistent volume, followed by a number of genuine volumes.  Nothing was
done until I cancelled the process that would never complete.  Try it
yourself, and if you don't like it, maybe IBM will fix it.

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.
University of Chicago