ADSM-L

Re: lost my files

1999-02-17 11:50:29
Subject: Re: lost my files
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:50:29 -0600
     Yes, every time a backup operation is run files are bound/rebound to
     management classes.  Remember that as the "file" percolates up through
     the include/exclude list if it doesn't have a "match" or if its
     "match" doesn't have a management class specified it takes the
     default.

     When a file is "rebound" to a new management class, ALL COPIES
     contained within the adsm server are rebound.

     In your below problem say...

     > 1. Make the backup with the "no limit"  mgmt class

     > 2. issue move data volname stgpool=another storage pool
     > ( optical - sice i do not have disk space )

     This is OK, no matter where you move the data within the adsm server
     the file will retain their management class characteristics

     >  3. issue move data opticvolume stgpool= tape storage pool

     same as with #2 ***BUT*** if you now, on your client, rebind the
     client files to some other management class... IT DOESN'T MATTER where
     the old copies are on the adsm server, they are rebound AND EXPIRED
     based on the most recent client/server processing.

     If you wish to take long term "no limit" /  never expiring versions of
     client data... use "archive" and if you don't want to push that extra
     data across the network you could perform an "EXPORT" of say the
     client's active data and then (using the right options) you could
     import that client & its data at a later time .

     OK, I've probably made this about as clear as mud... sorry.

     Maybe this will help...
     If you want to keep something for "A PERIOD OF TIME (duration)" then
     you have to ARCHIVE it, otherwise "versioning" determines the life of
     the file on the adsm server... You could set a "no limit" versioining
     but there ain't enough tape in the world for that AND as soon as the
     active version of a file binds to a new management class... so go all
     the inactive versions ! ! !

     later,
            Dwight

Author:  iap (iap AT tarom.logicnet DOT ro) at unix,mime
Date:    2/17/99 1:47 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.
Still some things are not clear for me...

Dwight_Cook_ wrote:

>      OK, this discussion is for backups (incremental/selective)
>
>      Storage pools don't/can't have retention characteristics !
>
>      Only management class copy groups have retention characteristics...
>
>      A file is bound to a management class.

Is the file bound to a management class at the time of the backup operation,
through the include/exclude list file, isn't it?

>      If you rebind a file to a new management class, all copies of that
>      file fall under the rule of the new management class.  (ie you did
>      have the file under a "no limit" mgmtclass and you had 30 copies (1
>      active, 29 inactive) you then rebound it to a mgmtclass with 7 copies
>      (1 active, 6 inactive) Well..... next time expiration runs 23 of you
>      copies go away.

Next day I return to my day by day management class and I make backup
operations on the same files/directories, but this time they will have the
rules specified in the copy group of my management class, management class
which is different than mgmt class mentioned above ( that " no limit " class
)?!

Do this mean that I rebound my files after the backup is finished?

>      AND since storage pools don't have retention characteristics, once
>      data is on the adsm server you may use "move data" to shuffle it
>      anywhere you wish.

Ok, let's say I choose to move my data.
Are this the rights steps?

1. Make the backup with the "no limit"  mgmt class
2. issue move data volname stgpool=another storage pool ( optical - sice i do
not have disk space
3. issue move data opticvolume stgpool= tape storage pool

Thank you for your help.

Mihai Iancu