ADSM-L

Re: User for Windows NT scheduler service

1999-02-08 14:41:35
Subject: Re: User for Windows NT scheduler service
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:41:35 -0600
By default ADSM client services are installed to run under the local system
account. Since the service uses logon properties such as persistent drive
mappings, and local search path and environment variables of the account
which logs it on, it may be desirable to have the services logged on by a
domain account.

Also, since local accounts do not have domain credentials, domain resources,
such as network drives, can only be accessed by services configured to run
under a domain authorized account using dsmcutil or the Service Control
Panel Application. Any non-system account (local or domain) must possess the
following rights:

*       Backup Files
*       Restore Files
*       Manage Auditing
*       Security Logs

Without these rights, users can only backup files they own, but not files
owned by other users or the system registry.

I believe that the problems that you are experiencing (with the registry
read) is because you have installed ADSM under an ID which had privileges to
read and write to this section of the registry but the id which the actual
scheduler service is running under does not have these privileges.

We have also recently undergone an audit. I can't think of any reason why
you wouldn't let a service run under the system account (most services do).
If you really need to backup network drives then you need to be more
cautious as the local system account can't do this - you need a domain
account.

I can recommend the above privileges for ADSM administrators who require to
do interactive backups / restores of servers rather than granting them full
administrative authority.

Nathan