ADSM-L

Re: Archive Copy Group (Versions!!)

1999-02-03 15:03:48
Subject: Re: Archive Copy Group (Versions!!)
From: Paul Fielding <paul.fielding AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:03:48 -0700
I had a client recently who dumps his oracle db logs into a backup folder
and needed to archive & delete everything in that folder on an hourly basis.
Assuming that there are logs dumped every hour, that led to an unruly (sp?)
number of archives.  We resolved the problem by writing a script to do the
archive & delete that parses the current date and creates the archive with
the description = "Oracle Log Archive for 01/21/1999"  .

Since ADSM V3 groups archives by description, that meant that any subsequent
archives during the same day would get plugged into the same package as the
others taken that day, but as soon as the day changes, a new package is
started.
Therefore, 7 days worth or archives had 7 packages, as opposed to 168
packages.

Of course, this worked in our situation because the logfiles all have
independent filenames. This won't work for archiving files with identical
names between archives, but it may give you some ideas for packaging your
archives....

later,
Paul