ADSM-L

Re: How long can I use one 3590 tape?

1999-02-03 10:26:52
Subject: Re: How long can I use one 3590 tape?
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:26:52 -0600
     For writes & rewrites I believe the tapes are guaranteed for life.

     we take in about 1.7 TB nightly, have somewhere around 5,000+ tapes,
     in the last 3-4 years I can only think of 3, maybe 4 tapes that we
     sent back for replacement.

     In other words... when ever a tape error showed up, it was a tape
     drive head out of adjustment, cleaning brush problem, ... something
     other than a tape media problem  (except those 3 or 4 times and those
     were probably due to the out of adjustment drives)

     later,
           Dwight