ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-AS400-3570

1999-02-01 14:31:35
Subject: Re: ADSM-AS400-3570
From: Dennis Knee <dknee AT NAZARENE DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:31:35 -0600
clomb wrote:

> Hi ADSM'ers
>
> I've just installed a Magstar 3570 to an AS400 with ADSM.
> ADSM does not allow to transfer more than 5 Go of data on a single tape.
>
> My devclass config is :  device type:3570     Format:drive
>
> I expected to put up to 10 or 15 Go on each tape.
>
> Please, help me
Here is what I'm doing:
I started out with the default, like you've specified, and was only
utilizing about 60% of the tape (based on the led display on the tape
drive). (We have the desktop drive. I don't know if the rack mount has
the same display or not.)

I am having the server force compression OFF. Until the AS/400 operating
system passes the tape full indicator to ADSM you just have to guess at
how much the tape will hold. My current estimate is 8600M. (The amount
of compression is totally dependant on the compression algorithm and the
data to be compressed. I am forcing only 3570 hardware compression.) My
goal is to use as much of the tape as I reasonably can without hitting
the end-of-tape marker.

update devclass [3570class] estcapacity=8600m

IBM: When WILL the AS/400 and ADSM communicate better? I would really
like to be able to utilize the full amount of the tape cartridge.
--
Dennis Knee
Dennis Knee