ADSM-L

should I define two standalone 3590s as two libraries?

1999-01-30 10:20:24
Subject: should I define two standalone 3590s as two libraries?
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:20:24 -0600
I have ADSM 3.1.10.0 on AIX 4.1.3.0, and two 3590 drives, scsi-attached.

First, I gather I should put the 3590s in random mode, so they'll act
like little 10-tape libraries.  Great.

Now, if I define the 3590s as two drives in one manual-type library,
won't ADSM sometimes try to mount a tape from one drive on the other
drive?  That's a problem since there's no robot arm. (And even for the
human operators, the tapes are physically locked into the autoloader.)

On the other hand, if I define two libraries, each with one drive, how
can ADSM do tape reclamation? It needs two mount points to do a
tape-to-tape copy.

Any wisdom appreciated - thanks y'all.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris