ADSM-L

AW: How many File Versions should I allow ..??

1999-01-29 08:50:39
Subject: AW: How many File Versions should I allow ..??
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:50:39 +0100
Fred,
right now we have a standard management class that allows
3 inactive version for max 30 days
60 days retention for the last active version after deletion.

With these values I think we are at a very low limit, but we really can cope
with most of the restore requests we get.
For files that do not change too often, we can get back quite a time; for
daily changed files there are only 4 days. As we do not intend to implement
a version control system using ADSM but to provide a logical backup system,
our focus is more on recovering broken files.
A simple example:
A file is readable on monday -> active file on tuesday
File modified an now unreadable on tuesday -> readable file is version -1
On wednesday the user detects error -> restore possible
If the user cannot reach someone to do the restore, the file still is
restorable, even when the user touches the file another two times.

During the last year we had no problem with the restore for more than 95% of
all requests. And there were some where the user would have liked a version
-150 from 9 months ago to be restored.
Good luck in finding the right parameters for your management classes!
Good luck in finding the right parameters for your management classes!

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl