ADSM-L

Re: Why seperate Backup and Archive Pools

1999-01-28 11:32:56
Subject: Re: Why seperate Backup and Archive Pools
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:32:56 -0500
At 12:26 PM 1/28/99 +0100, Stephan Rittmann wrote:
>normaly ADSM has seperat pools for backup and archive. What are the reasons
>for that. Can anybody give me some informations why I should seperat the
>pools.

Stephan,

We keep them separate because we find our archive data to be much more
static (unchanging) than our backup data.  By segregating the data to
different tape pools, we are able to acheive much higher utilization of the
archive tapes (95+%), than for our backup tapes.

What I would like to be able to do is to segregate the dynamic backup data
from the static backup data, to achieve similar increases in tape
utilization for our backup data.

..Paul