ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges

1999-01-27 03:50:33
Subject: Re: IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:50:33 +0100
Hi,

Othmar Weber writes:

 > I talked to the IBM folks and they told me to do a complete reinventory of
 > the
 > library
 > (I did this only once in my ADSM career: the library lost all statistical
 > information on the tapes,
 > especially the use counts for the cleaning cartridges). Next idea of the IBM
 > support was to
 > insert a dummy cartridge with the same label and eject it afterwards to get
 > rid
 > of the
 > inventory reference. I would like to do that but I don't have the barcode
 > label
 > anymore.

you can insert unlabeled tapes. I don't remeber the exact procedure, but
it is something like that: On the console under the topic "commands" (?)
there is an item for inserting unlabeled tapes. A window is presented tthere is
an item for inserting unlabeled tapes. A window is presented to
you where you can specify the volume label and it's type ('J' or 'E'). Be
sure to place that information at the location corresponding to the cell
in the I/O station where you put the tape.

Hope this helps.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-UniversiReinhard
Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität