ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Connect Agent

1999-01-26 15:37:51
Subject: Re: Exchange Connect Agent
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:37:51 -0500
Phil,

>For the last week we have attempted to schedule a full backup of this
>database and although it always backs up the DIR database, it
>continually fails to backup the IS database with the following message
>on the client:-
>
>ANS1315E (RC15)   Unexpected Retry request
>
>On the ADSM Server, we get the corresponding following messages:
>
>ANR8341I End-of-volume reached for DLT volume TR1000.
>ANR1411W Access mode for volume TR1000 now set to "read-only" due to
>write error.
>ANR0523W Transaction failed for session 61 for node TRN2601_EXC
>(WinNTDB) - error on output storage device.
>ANR0403I Session 61 ended for node TRN2601_EXC (WinNTDB).
>
>Has anybody else seen this?
>
>It appears that the database is too large to fit onto one tape (we are
>using DLT tapes with a native capacity of 35 GB) and is then causing the
>backup to fail.  Surely, the backup should continue onto another tape?

You are correct, the backup should continue to another tape volume.

There are a couple known problems with EOV handling on DLT drives...one of
which was
fixed by updating the firmware on the drive.   Please contact IBM service
for the ADSM server
so that they can help you determine which EOV problem you are seeing.

In the meantime, have you tried turning compression on to see if you can
make the DB fit onto a
single volume?  This may take longer but may allow you to get a current
backup until you have the
EOV problem fixed.

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development