ADSM-L

Re: "saving" tapes (or management's ideas...)

1999-01-26 09:42:58
Subject: Re: "saving" tapes (or management's ideas...)
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:42:58 -0600
     One thing I would want to double check is that with the EXCLUDE, if a
     file is found to be excluded yet there exists backup versions... all
     those versions are expired (backups, not archives) So if you are
     looking at excluding files but want to have some form of backup, you
     will need to push an archive of that file to be safe.
     (like I said... this would be worth a double check 'cause it has been
     over a year and a version change since I checked it)

     later,
           Dwight

Author:  zvika (zvika AT AESERV.TECHNION.AC DOT IL) at unix,mime
Date:    1/26/99 12:59 AM

Dwight,

Thanks for your analysis. The problem however, is that I cannot know beforehand
which files would be doomed for non-backup, and these files are scattered
all over the users' filesystems. It is perfectly possible (and this is the
way it probably will be) that in a directory some files will be still in the
normal backup, and others (old ones) to be non-backed up, so wildcarding and
doamins are of little (if any) help. In addition, what would happen once a file
from the "non-backup" is changed and should be backed up ?

Regards,
/Zvika