ADSM-L

Antwort: DLT library experiences

1999-01-26 09:31:51
Subject: Antwort: DLT library experiences
From: Stephan Rittmann <srittmann AT FIDUCIA DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:31:51 +0100
Martin,

one year ago we had to decide for a DLT system, too. We looked at ADIC and
STK. and tested th STK 9714(up to 100 DLT carts.), the ADIC SCALAR 218, 234
and 458(up to 48 DLT carts.)
These libraries have not the size you want, but I think you can compare the
technical facts.

In short words, the results of the tests was, that we couldn't find any
extrem differences between the libs. The STK was faster in grabbing the
carts. But with a mount time for DLT carts of more than 90 secs(I mean only
mounting the cartrige in the drive), it is not so important for me that the
transport of the cartrige needs 3 secs. with the STK and 10 secs. with the
ADIC.  The ADIC libraries were cheaper, so we took them. At the moment we
have 15 libraries installed and the all working fine. Up to now we only had
one bad drive, but this is not the fault from ADIC.

Hope that helps,
Stephan Rittmann
FDUCIA AG
Karlsruhem Germany

We are planning to buy a large DLT library for our
ADSM system. We currently use an ATL 520 library but need
to upgrade to a scalable library with initial capacity for about
250 DLT volumes.

We have started to look at ATL 2640, ADIC Scalar 1000 and
Timberwolf 9710. They all fall into the same price segment with
a setup of ca 250 volumes and 3 DLT7000 drives while the ADIC
seems less expensive to upgrade. (The ATL P3000 is 50% higher in
price than the other three, a difference not so easily acceptable
for us).

I'm interested in hearing any experiences of running any of
the above three libraries with ADSM, or if you run other libraries
with similar configuration. If you recently made a purchase similar
to the one we plan, I'm also interested in hearing which library you
settled for and why.