ADSM-L

Re: del volh bug?

1999-01-21 12:20:56
Subject: Re: del volh bug?
From: Alain Nissen <Alain.Nissen AT ULG.AC DOT BE>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:20:56 +0100
Bob Booth - CSO wrote:

> I have just upgraded my AIX ADSM server to 3.1.2.1 and now I can't delete my
> database backup volume history.
>
> On Mondays, I issue the following command to perform a fresh backup sequence:
>
> delete volh type=dbb todate=today
>
> The server now returns:
>
> ANR2467I DELETE VOLHISTORY: 0 sequential volume history entries were
> successfully deleted.

I had similar problem on my server (ADSM 3.1.2.1).  More precisely, I
cannot delete the last DB backup from the volume history; older DB
backups may be removed without problem.

As it was an undocumented "feature", I asked the Belgian lab for opening
an APAR
 ---> APAR IC22970.

The APAR has been closed "PER" (which means IBM has thought as a
defect), BUT the fix will only be to add a message informing that it is
not allowed to delete the last DB backup from the volume history.

Extract from APAR conclusion:
Extract from APAR conclusion:
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Need to prevent users from accidentally deleting last data base Backup
series.
Delete Volhist command will ignore and not remove last DB backup
Delete Volhist command will ignore and not remove last DB backup
series.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

Alain