ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:48:52

Mark, this is pretty much what I do in a unix environment -- use the O/S native tools to back up the server and the ADSM tools to back up the rest of the environment. You'll want to do ADSM database backups as well.

Then - restore your server platform; make any changes required in the ADSM device and volhist files; invoke ADSM server at the command-line level to restore the most recent ADSM database; start ADSM; and make any changes required to the device definitions (the changes in the device file only apply when the database is unusable).

With NT as the server platform, you will need to do a bit of 'bootstrap'; you'll need to install NT in one partition in order to use the NT restore to restore your running partition.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
(219) 295-3297

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Remeta, Mark [SMTP:MRemeta AT SELIGMANDATA DOT COM]
    Sent:   Wednesday, January 20, 1999 3:43 PM
    To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
    Subject:        Another Question

    Hello all, I have another question concerning disaster recovery of a ADSM
    server. I understand the requirements and the procedures to restore another
    NT Server or NT Workstation, basically install NT and ADSM in a different
    directory and then use ADSM to restore the old configuration. I also have a
    grasp of recovering an ADSM Server in the event of a disaster according to
    IBM I.E.: Having the volume history file, device config, server options,
    database backup, etc.... Isn't there an easy way of restoring the ADSM
    Server without having to reinstall NT and ADSM and any and all
    customizations you may have made to NT/ADSM without starting from scratch?
    What if I installed NT and ADSM Server in a temporary directory, got ADSM up
    and running from the temporary directory and then restored NT and all the
    ADSM files to the original directories, copied the registry and rebooted the
    old configuration. What about shutting down ADSM and using the native NT
    Backup to backup all the files and the registry, then reinstalling NT and
    use NT backup to restore everything. If ADSM is shutdown I should be able to
    access the database and log files, right...

    I guess what I am asking is how do I restore the NT portion of a ADSM
    server...

    Thanks in advance,

    Mark Remeta
    Seligman Data Corp.