ADSM-L

Re: Versions Exist vs. Retain Extra

1999-01-14 13:56:37
Subject: Re: Versions Exist vs. Retain Extra
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:56:37 -0600
     The retain extra only comes into play once the file has stabilized !
     so if you have
     VDE 35
     VDD 10
     REV 15
     ROV 70
     If you are changing the file daily you will have 35 copies, once you
     quite changing the file BUT the file still exists on the server... 15
     days later (the 16th day the file hasn't changed) your backup copies
     will begin to go away... in my example 20 would go away the first day
     'cause 20 of the 35 copies would be older than 15 days... then each
     day (that the file still isn't changing) another copy will go away
     (since it was altered/backed up daily) until you are down to your ONLY
     version.  That copy will be retained for 70 days ONCE THE FILE IS
     DELETED... as long as it exists unchanged on the client you will have
     that last copy.  Everything gets reset if the client changes the file.
     ie all bets are off / versions begin to increase again / etc...

     later,
           Dwight

     (yes, in a test environment I ran this out over time...)