ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation of offsite group.

1999-01-05 09:31:23
Subject: Re: Reclamation of offsite group.
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:31:23 -0500
It depends.  Do you have more than one copypool that you rotate between?  Do
you want to take the chance that while your copypool is on site there's a
disaster and your offsite tapes are destroyed?

We previously had 3 copypools that we rotated between.  Every day, one set
was onsite to be updated with the backup stgpool command and to be cleaned
up by reclamation.  The other 2 sets were offsite.  We did this because it
fit in nicely with our procedures for offsite tapes for other platforms.

Then, our tape usage increased and we got a 3494.  So, we changed to one
copypool.  Everyday we make a list of tapes that were added to the copypool
and need to be taken offsite.  Once a week we make a list of tapes that are
now empty and need to be returned.  We also run reclamation once a week.
With the tapes offsite, it uses the local stgpools as input and creates new
copypool tapes.

This works best for us now with our library and volume of tapes.  Multiple
copypools worked fine while we were smaller.  So, it mostly depends on your
comfort level with your copypool not being offsite all the time and how your
ADSM is configured.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Tina Hilton