ADSM-L

Re: ADSM SQL Server Connect Agent

1999-01-04 10:45:25
Subject: Re: ADSM SQL Server Connect Agent
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:45:25 -0500
Joseph,

> 4. All the above maintenance procedures must be coordinated with the
> backup process which is easily accomplished with the SQL Server internal
> scheduler, but is not possible if ADSM is the backup environment.

> 5. Database activity itself my require the ability to trigger an
> on-demand backup.  This usually occurs when the database's log table is
> full (or nearly full) and must be done immediately or all insert or
update
> activity will cease on the database.  Since ADSM cannot be triggered by
an
> internal database action, it cannot support this requirement.

The ADSM SQL  Agent has a cmd line interface that can be launched by any
scheduling mechanism
you choose.  The SQL server scheduler can be used if that meets your needs
better than the ADSM
central scheduler in terms of being able to select the "best" time to run a
backup.

Similarly, I believe that the SQL server has hooks into the NT performance
monitor which allow commands to
be triggered when certain conditions (such as log nearly full) are met.  I
believe that this mechanism can launch
the ADSM SQL agent cmd interface (just as it would any other cmd) to
achieve the desired result.

Basically, the ADSM SQL Agent can be launched by any scheduling or
triggering mechanism that can
launch regular NT cmds...

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development