ADSM-L

Backup/restore raw device Oracle database on Digital Unix

1999-01-04 07:46:45
Subject: Backup/restore raw device Oracle database on Digital Unix
From: Eric Tang <tangeric AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:46:45 +0800
Hi,

I have tested the following to backup/restore Raw device Oracle on Digital
Unix, database will be 60GB initially.

Backup:   dd raw device to digital unix filesystem then to ADSM
Restore:  restore from ADSM to digital unix filesystem then dd to raw
device

In some rare case, the database needs to be restored to other Digital Unix
machines, instead of allocation 60GB disk filesystem on each digital unix
box,, have tried

Restore:  restore from ADSM to aix filesystem (on aix adsm server) then "dd
if=/aix_fs | rsh digital_host of=/digital_rawdevice" to digital unix

All the cases above work, my question are:

1. is there adsmpipe for digital unix
2. other than the above and SQL-backtrack, any alternative
3. are ADSM filesystem backup/restore between platforms (eg. digital unix
and aix) compatible? In my test, digital unix filesystem can be restored to
the aix filesystem; should it be the case or just coincident

Regards,
Eric Tang