ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Scripts

1998-12-29 04:20:47
Subject: Re: ADSM Scripts
From: "Toora, Kuli" <kulbinder.toora AT EXCHANGE.MEB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:20:47 -0000
Helo all,

I discovered this problem on the MVS server some time ago and reported it to
IBM. Here is the reply that i got :

You appear to have stumbled into a tricky little are here. A couple of
APARs have already been written in this area of multiple backup
stgpools with Wait=Yes set.
The one which best applies here is PQ19011 (which was closed on Sept
1st but has no PTF for it yet).  This describes a 'race' condition
between the multiple processes set off by your Backup Stgpool command
with MAXPR=4.  The problem is that when any one of the 4 processes
finishes, it can free some of the shared (in memory) resources used by
the others. This can, in the worst cases, cause the ADSM server to
crash.
 In your case we started processes 59,60,61, and 62 for the first
Backup STG command. These 'race' and do NOT end in sequence. When
process 62 ends, we (wrongly) assume that the whole command has
finished and kick off the second Backup STG command (which starts
processes 63,64,65, and 66). In fact, process 61 did the bulk of the
first Backup STG and did not complete until 08:51:47.
  I'm afraid there is no fix yet. The PQ19011 APAR recommends you
circumvent the problem for now by either using WAIT=NO or MAXPR=1.
  It shouldn't take too much longer using maxpr=1 because 1 process is
doing most of the work anyway already.

I was told the fixtest may be available around December time.

Seasons greetings.

Thanks,

Kuli.

Kulbinder Toora
01384 296191 x3498
e-mail - Kulbinder.toora AT meb.co DOT uk
Midlands Electricity

This outgoing e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked
(using Dr Solomon's v7.90) at MEB (UK 01384 296191) before
despatch, and has been found to be clean from any virus infection.