ADSM-L

Re: <no subject> -- Becomes backup vs archive

2015-10-04 17:50:04
Subject: Re: <no subject> -- Becomes backup vs archive
From: Chris Roelofs [SMTP:Chris.J.Roelofs AT MAIL.ING DOT NL]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
     Hi Tom,

     This is a classic.

     People are used to thinking about backups in terms of "how long do we
     keep this backup?". In the ADSM world, this is not backup. Backup is
     specified in a number of versions, and how long to keep extra
     versions.

     You are looking at what ADSM calls archiving. With an archive you
     specify the number of days to keep.

     Archive uses days to keep, backup uses number of versions.

     There is no clean way to keep backupped versions of a file for a
     specific period of time. And I too sometimes wish there were.

     Bye,

     Chris Roelofs
     Mainland Sequoia