ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Agent Questions

1998-12-22 15:35:43
Subject: Re: Exchange Agent Questions
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:35:43 -0500
Allan,

The ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server allows you
to back up and restore the Information Store and Directory databases.
It does this at the database level only.

We are aware that brick level backup and restore is a function that
customers want.  We have not yet added that function to the
Exchange Agent due to the fact that Microsoft has not yet
created native "backup and restore" API's to do this.
Other products accomplish this by using non-backup/restore API's.
It has been noted that there are performance implications.
We hope that Microsoft will give us backup/restore API's to do this.
Keep in mind, with Exchange 5.5, Microsoft did add the deleted item
recovery feature that alleviates some of this pressure.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

> We have several Microsoft Exchange servers that we would like to backup
with
> ADSM but at present we are using ARCSERVE because it offers a "Bricks
Level