ADSM-L

Excludes for WinNT: Why CONFIG\*.* CONFIG\...\* difference?

1998-12-22 14:58:05
Subject: Excludes for WinNT: Why CONFIG\*.* CONFIG\...\* difference?
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:58:05 -0600
     The following exptessions have been in the default dsm.opt file for
     some time (versions):
     Exclude  *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.*
     Exclude  *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*

     The following expressions are more consistent with the other IBM
     distributed default excludes:

     Exclude  *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*.*
     Exclude  *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*

     I note that my WinNT install does not have subdirectories in the
     Config directory so the two sets of expressions appear to have the
     same effect.  Is there an intentional reason for the differences in
     the two exclude expressions?

     And, while on the topic, can you confirm that the \* expression
     matches directories?  Or is it also required to match filenames that
     don't have a period in them?  Which platforms (only Windows?) require
     this 'double entry'.  Is the order significant?  I note that ...\*.*
     is listed above ...\* and that there is usually a pair for any
     exclude.

     Thanks for your help.

     Eric Lewis UW-Madison
     eric.lewis AT doit.wisc DOT edu