ADSM-L

Re: Relabeling tapes?

1998-12-21 21:28:10
Subject: Re: Relabeling tapes?
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:28:10 -0700
Hey guys...

I'm confused.  Why would you checkin the second batch at all?  Isn't the normal
modus-operandi of ADSM's 'label libvol' command with a 3494 to ask the library
for all tapes in insert category (FF00) and then label them according to their
external label as seen by the library?

I would check them out using the remove=no option; at that point they should be
back in insert category in the library.  You may have trouble with the volumes
where it errored out on the internal label matching the first batch.
Regardless, you can use:
mtlib -l /dev/lib3434 -C -t FF00 -V 600000
with appropriate values for lib3494 and 600000.  Then use the external utility
dsmlabel.  You can pipe a text file to get the list of volumes if you feel
nervous about using it with the search option with the overwrite option:

adsm> update drive lib3494 rmt0 online=no
$ cat > vols <<END
> 600000
> 600001
> 600002
etc.
> END
$ cat vols | dsmlabel -library=/dev/lib3494 -drive=/dev/rmt0 -overwrite
adsm> update drive lib3494 rmt0 online=yes
adsm> checkin libv lib3494 search=yes status=scratch devtype=3590 checklabel=no

dsmlabel will ask the 3494 for each volume you type in (or feed it with the
pipe), mount it, and label it internally.  Since it is an external utility, it
will not error when the old internal label matches a true ADSM volume because it
just doesn't know about them.

MAKE SURE  the 3494 is not confused about the labels (although I'm not sure how
it could be, unless, ADSM plays with its head).  You can use:
mtlib -l /dev/lib3494 -qI
to check that your tapes are there and in the correct category.

Make sure you feel comfortable with this approach before using...

Cheers...
Bruce