ADSM-L

Label Libvolume Command problems

1998-12-21 13:29:05
Subject: Label Libvolume Command problems
From: Robert Bunt <rmbunt AT NYSEG DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:29:05 -0500
AIX 4.2.1
ADSM 3.1.2.0
atldd 3.1.1.3
Atape 4.1.0.8
3494 L12 with 3590 drives

     I have just added several new tapes for use in the ADSM tape rotation.
Using the LABEL LIBVOLUME command, I have successfully entered tapes by
group
and by single volumes :

label libvolume tapelib search=yes checkin=scratch volrange=XXXX01,XXXX22
     devtype=3590

     and

label libvolume tapelib XXXX01 checkin=scratch devtype=3590

     I have been having consistency problems with this command.  For the
one
or two success stories, the end result of this command is that a drive
receives a
time out error and the AIX error log begins to fill up with messages.
Bottom line is that
I have to Halt ADSM and recycle AIX in order to stop the messages from
being
generated.  I have varied the problem drive off in ADSM and also at the AIX
device level.  The messages still continue to be generated.

     The ADSM Activity log records the ANR8304E Time out error on drive
tdrive2 [/dev/rmt2] in library Tapelib.  I have also received ANR8310E
Error
Occurred while accessing library Tapelib.

     The error initially received in the AIX error log is 4865FA9B and is
described
as a TAPE_ERR1.  The repeat error message is D5CFA810 and is labelled a
Diag
report.  This also reports a medium error in the detail text.  I am having
problems believing
either of these messages because I can turn right around after the system
has been
re-booted and label the tape in question without a problem.  It seems to be
the tapes that
are loaded afterward that are developing the drive issue.

     Has anyone else had the same or similar problems while using the LABEL
LIBVOLUME command?  The Service Director for this node has called out
everytime that
I have decided to label and checkin a tape for use.   Migration,
Reclamation, Database
Backups, and  Export processes have not caused any problems with the drive
operation.

                                         Bob Bunt
                                         rmbunt AT nyseg DOT com